Optimizing a website to increase your organic traffic requires stopping to think. And above all it requires an analysis of its current state, the strengths and weaknesses of. It’s like taking a picture of the site at a given time and then, depending on the results, making the necessary changes. That is the mission of an SEO audit, review a number of check points and aspects that can be improved on our site . To do this you can follow four basic steps:
If your website is not well indexed on Google or any other search engine, does not exist, so do not arrive visits from them. There are several ways to view indexing a website, but perhaps the safest is to see the URL that sends your sitemap.xml seekers. This requires using Google Webmaster Tools , the best way to know Google our website “thinking”. You can also find out by using Search Engine Spider Simulation .
With the help of the tool Screaming Frog , one of the most powerful for analysis on-page, which is also free, we can analyze:
– Titles : is one of the most important factors . With these search engines will identify our page and see what the user before clicking our site , so you should include keywords. They should not have more than 60 characters and follow the principle of naturalness, ie, that what you write on the label sounds natural, and the principle of readability, the most important thing should go left. You find it in Screaming Frog, Page Titles.
– Meta descriptions : Help us to indicate what the content of our website, so that search engines can classify them into a theme. Each page should have its own meta description. To be optimized must be between 100 and 150 characters long, with the keyword for the specific page. You can see Screaming Frog, Meta Description.
– URL and duplicity (canonicalization). URLs should be short, clear and relevant. In addition , all should be directed to the same page to avoid duplicate content that Google has already made clear that it is not to your liking. To avoid this we must use canonical directions and redirects 301 , indicating to Google in this way that is original content.
– broken links and redirects . Broken links are much more common than is usually thought and cause great damage. We must therefore ensure that both those who point to other internal pages of the site, such as pointing to external sites are not damaged. Also many pages have many redirections that are not well made, ie targeting non – permanent (code 301) old, outdated or irrelevant pages, or are temporary (code 302) and. You can see Screaming Frog, Response Code.
– Keywords . Do a review of the key words of our project: to investigate, identify, filter and evaluate them .
– Heading 1 (H1). Remember to include the keyword or long-tail version of the keyword.
– H2, H3, etc. Should incorporate long tail versions, synonyms or niche vocabulary keyword .
Incoming links or backlinks are one of the factors SEO off-page key. Both the number of links and their origin will give us an idea of how it is working the web and if a campaign is necessary linkbuilding to improve the natural positioning of the web. A greater number of inbound links does not indicate a better optimization, even if excessive can damage positioning. Is much more important quality. To check your external links and their strength can use ahrefs and MozBar .
In order to improve the user experience, Google takes into account the time it takes to load your page, and accordingly, gives a good position or not. It is estimated that more than 4 seconds starts to be problematic for web. You can check how long it takes your web using Google Page Speed Insights . It is a free tool and the big advantage is that tells you the problems and possible solutions. You can also use GTmetrix , which gives you the speed of the page and recommendations for improvement.
With this study in 4 steps we can measure the health of our website, and detected faults perform a series of actions to help improve the performance of the page. However, we must not forget to use quality content should be the focus of our efforts. Without it, hardly properly positioned our site. Are you ready to check?