SEO , defined as all those actions designed to improve the visibility of a web page in search engines, naturally, by applying various optimization tasks . It is therefore an enormously important discipline within the marketing strategy of any company, since it will determine its visibility in the online medium.
In general, the traffic of our website will be directly proportional to the position it occupies in search engines , or in other words, the more optimization you make on your website for search engines, the more traffic you will generate.
Why do SEO?
I leave you 5 points with which you will understand much better because SEO is so important:
- When Internet users look for information, services or products to buy, 8 out of 10 trust the search engines, it is not a simple navigation.
- The 85% of these sailors do not click on paid links (ads)
- The 63% of the links are naturally at the top of the search engines, get clicks.
- Being naturally found at the top (due to SEO, no payment) converts 30% higher (= money brings 30% more).
- In the last year, the costs of PPC (pay per click) have grown by 37%, and are increasing due to the high demand they have.
# 1 Know what a keyword is
The first thing you have to know is that, if there is no keyword research , there is no SEO. DO NOT FORGET!
Why? Well, because keywords are the cornerstones of any SEO campaign. Let’s dig a little deeper into the subject:
What is a keyword for SEO?
It is a word that users type in search engines to search for products, services or information.
For example, if you are looking for this guide to create an SEO campaign from scratch , you will search it by putting “create SEO campaign” or “SEO campaign”, and not putting the entire title, right ?. Well that means that “campaign” and “SEO” are keywords of my publication , and I have to boost them if I want to position myself naturally in the top positions of the search engines. Then there is the struggle for these keywords by my competitors, it is not the same to position the word “safe” or “led” as the word “frying pan” or “cup”.
As it is a job that has to be dedicated many hours, I have created a 6 step guide to create an SEO campaign from scratch , to help you position your website:
# 2 Study your website
In the study phase of your web page, you must study the source code of the web , taking care of those parts that may hinder the indexing of your web page by search engines, and it will have to be modified in order to improve such indexing.
You have to try that:
- The page is semantically as descriptive as possible
- Choose very well the keywords that we want to position
- The contents are specific to the web page
- Update contents frequently
To support us in this first step, we have the following tools:
- Google analytics
- Google Webmaster Tools
- Bing Webmaster Tools
- Google Adwords Keyword Tool
# 3 Study your competition
It is necessary to optimize your web page by means of a study of your competence, studying the niches in social networks, studying your key words to position, establishing your goals to achieve and the deadlines to achieve those goals.
To carry out this study you can use the following tools:
- Majestic SEO
The utilities that can be given to this type of tools are:
- Know the backlinks to your web page or domain
- Know the backlinks to a website of the competition
- Know the backlinks to a web page or domain that you want to buy
- Know the backlinks to follow the exchanges of links or links effectively achieved
- Compare your web pages with the one of the competition
Also, if you use Firefox or Chrome (I recommend the use of firefox), you can install the following plugins:
- SEOdoctor ( Firefox ) ( Chrome )
- Web developer ( Firefox ) ( Chrome )
- Firebug ( Firefox ) ( Chrome )
In addition there is a list of websites similar to yours , from which you can link . It is important that this list is as complete as possible, but also realistic , do not wait for Coca-Cola links if we are a small company, nor of our direct competition, and it will be very useful in the next phase.
# 4 C onstruction of links
The construction of links is the most important step when positioning a web page. Once the study of the competition is finished, where we have ascertained the number of links of each of our competitors through the aforementioned tools, we will have a very clear idea of the number of links that we must build and the quality that each link has to have .
But we go in parts, because one thing is the internal links of your web page, and another, very different, the incoming links (backlinks), those that come from outside. A Corbax publication helps us understand the difference and gives us a series of very good tips:
In all search engine positioning (SEO) strategies, internal links play a fundamental role.
Creating a strategy of internal links is a task that must be kept in mind from the beginning of an SEO project . These links have to meet a series of requirements:
- Structure of links sanitized . Avoid broken links and make sure they get where they should be. Update them. The Tools for Google Webmasters will be very useful for this.
- Good organization of internal links , directed to the most important pages. Organize your pages in a well defined hierarchy, with internal links that allow a good navigation between them. Google recommends the use of the sitemap file.
- Clear navigation line , (about 7 links per menu).
- Accessible links : try to build the menus of links with html and CSS. Do not use text images or Flash.
- Try to use short URLs without special characters : friendly URLs
- The anchor text (link text) are very important in SEO. It must be as accurate as possible, the more it adjusts to the keyword the more influence it will have. Avoid anchor texts like “click here”.
- The text surrounding the link is also very influential. Make sure that the nearby text is related to the link.
- Titles in the links. Add the “title” tag with relevant information to the links.
- Links in context : Includes links to other pages of the site within the text. These have more relevance than the menu, foot or sidebar.
- Related links : Use a plugin in your blog to include links to other related posts that may interest the user.
- Breadcrumbs (bread crumb) : Must go on all pages. Do not link to the active page itself.
- Relevant outbound links . When you add a link to another domain, I recommend you to ask yourself “is this link useful for my users?” Make sure that all your links are related to your topic. Avoid links to spam sites, adult sites or low quality websites.
The popularity of the links you use in your link strategy is one of the most important factors taken into account by the search engines.
The links increase the popularity and confidence of the website, which is essential to achieve and maintain a good position in the natural search results.
Number of links
You must increase the number of links and the number of domains that link to your site. Increasing the number of inbound links will usually help you increase the number of unique visitors to the site.
A greater number of quality inbound links (backlinks) potentially means that the site will approach number one in the search results for a search query.
In principle, a large number of links to your site, means for search engines that your site is good.
There are many ways to increase inbound links, but not all are secure to ensure that the site will not be expelled from the search engines.
Naturalness of the links
Plan your strategy with prudence and patience. Acquiring quality inbound links is a long-term, but long-lasting process. It is a strategy for sites that intend to be well placed on the search results pages for a long time.
NATURALITY = EFFECTIVENESS> Sudden rises generate distrust in the trackers. The downs, I do not tell you.
The ideal is to receive the links gradually, day by day. That’s what search engines like. Search engines do not like link farms, linking to a link farm can make your site not appear in search results.
Quality of links
Acquire quality links: from sites with high PR, from sites with Authority and Trust. A site with great authority that links to a page is the equivalent of saying that the page is “good”.
Links from authoritative sites are of higher quality:
- with a good reputation
- that receive many links from other websites.
- that have a theme similar to yours.
- with antiquity in the domain.
Variety of Anchor Texts
Anchor text Varied with keywords associated with landing pages.
If 99% of your links have the same anchor text, you will probably send search engines a signal that they are trying to manipulate the search results.
Number of deep links
You have to acquire deep links to your inner pages, as well as links to your main page.
Try to get a lot of links to inner pages with the anchor text optimized so that the landing pages are positioned well with long tail keywords (long tail, keywords with less competition). But common sense must prevail in the deep link ratio, the test of fire is if the number represents what could be considered a “natural” link profile.
Variety of types of links
Get links of various types: editorial, press releases, social media, article directories, site directories, news aggregators, forums, blogs, price comparison sites …
The Moz group did a study that can give you good ideas:
- The quality of the content : The publication of high-quality content optimized efficiently generates inbound links over time. This method is the slowest, but it is the most respected by the search engines.
- Social networks : Social networks are an excellent indirect method, increasingly, to get inbound links. They usually have a rel = “nofollow” attribute, so they are not included in the search results. But do not try to avoid this type of links, because the natural thing is to have them and provide traffic.
- Blog : Create a blog in your domain with quality content. It will attract links from web pages of the same subject. You can also create one or several free blogs (WordPress, Blogger …) with content and links to your web page.
- Participate in the community : Comment on blogs and forums over time will give you many inbound links. Participation in the community also provides authority.
- Write in other blogs : Writing as a guest in other blogs is a way to create inbound links. The content has to be of high quality . When you send an article, in return, you will have a link to your page.
- Use a link creation service : Using a service like Zemanta will help establish new links. Zemanta is a service approved by Google, for now. If you use a third-party service, make sure that the company is not frowned upon by Google .
- Directory Highs – Submitting your site to the appropriate directories can improve site authority. Yahoo !, Dmoz, Yellow Pages (free), Qweb, Vulka (of the sector), 11870, Qype, Yelp, Qapacity, Granpyme …
- Exchange links : There are many forums where you can request link exchanges. Make sure they are of a relevant theme for your website.
- Contact with the owners of other websites : This is a tedious method. Instead of requesting a link, request an interview. If the owner of the website accepts, you will have more quality content for your site.
To carry out this study you can use the following tools :
Check how many and which web pages have a link to your web page
- Google Webmaster tools
- Majestic SEO
Generating pages of automatic links
- Link Finder PRO : It allows you to find quality pages to create your links divided by PR, URLtype and other things.
- SEO Panel : It’s free and has a series of payment plugins that will make your life easier. For example, an aggregator of your web page to more than 5 thousand directories, an aggregator of comments and an aggregator to social markers. The best thing about this tool is that it is semi-automatic.
- Social Submitter : I consider it one of the best programs for social bookmarking. Fully automatic
- Senuke : It is a program to create profiles in forums in a massive way. It also allows you to create bookmarks and comments on blogs and others.
- WordPress Scraper Commenter : Allows you to create comments automatically. It will also allow you to capture an automatic list of blog URLs to comment on. You put the keywords and the program returns a list with all the themes.
# 5 Perform constant maintenance
The optimization of a web page in search engines is not something we can do in a timely manner (such as an advertising campaign, for example), but once the work is done, it requires constant and lifelong maintenance . It is one of the reasons why an SEO campaign is expensive and lasting over time, but it can not be otherwise, and here are two main reasons:
- Search engines are changing and updating, so you have to be very attentive to the performance of the keywords because it can vary from season to season. A clear example you have with ” Google Penguin: In search of quality content .”
- Like we do the campaign, our competition will also do it, so that it can affect our performance and positioning, so again I repeat that we must not lose sight of the performance of the keywords .
Do not forget to read the entry ” The importance of a good SEO positioning [INFOGRAPHY] ” to know what are the key points of SEO in a fast way.
# 6 Measure the results
Last but not least, the measurement of results . For me it is the key point of any SEO campaign, because it is what allows us to learn and improve . In this case, the measurement will allow us to know the operation of our website, its visibility, how it works, how it responds and how we can improve it .
We will also see if the entire budget allocated to this process has paid off, and if our positioning is as expected. We will also check, if we have left it in someone else’s hands, if the choice of keywords has been correct and, therefore, its conversion into sales or visits, depending on our objectives.
There are several tools that allow measuring :
- Google Webmaster Tools . It is a free tool from Google that allows site creators to check the status of web indexing and optimize their positioning / visibility, allowing them, among other things, to adjust the frequency of indexing , enumerate links to internal and external pages , see what keywords have led to that site, view statistics and errors , etc.