As we all know, changes in the algorithm Facebook are almost constant and most of the time, unnoticeable.
However, some important changes to the Facebook algorithm are announced and notified by the spokesmen of the social network and its founder, Mark Zuckerberg.
During 2017 and so far in 2018 many changes have been announced and their real impact on organic scope of Facebook pages has been highly variable depending on the type of strategy that the administrator of the page continues.
In today’s article, we will expose the impact these changes have had algorithm Facebook pages that follow a content marketing strategy.
But before we begin, let’s clarify some concepts …
What is content marketing?
The content marketing is to reach the customer with valuable information for this, so that our company will become a reference for him on a certain subject and thus, when deciding which brand to choose to make the purchase, we choose because we are positioned in his mind as specialists in that product or in those subjects.
The main distribution channel is Internet generated content and social networks, and the success of this strategy focuses on:
- Generating valuable content for target customers.
- Generate unique and quality content.
- properly distribute them to reach the target customer.
This last point is that changes in the algorithm Facebook should be relieved, analyzed and understood in order to adapt to it and continue to be present at the news of our target audience so that they reach the content they generate.
What is organic Scope on Facebook?
The organic range in Facebook is the number of only – -users people who are shown the content we share not we make any payment to Facebook for it .
In other words, every time you share a post on Facebook, it distributes it among some of your followers, who in turn if they share, comment or react to it, that it will be seen by more people. Each of these people is part of the organic scope and thus the organic range is the sum of the number of people who have seen this post .
On pages, Facebook shows the organic scope of each post under it and in the “Statistics” tab of your account (in the posts shared through Facebook profiles this information is not available):
In contrast to the organic range, on Facebook there is also scope payment, which is the amount of people who see our post as a result of having paid Facebook to show it to a particular audience, is what is called Facebook ads .
What is the number of impressions of a Facebook post?
The number of impressions is the number of times a post has been viewed. The number of organic impressions can be greater than the organic reach but never lower, because one person can see more than once the same post.
For example, if a Facebook user sees a post twice, once because he was in the news again and again because he entered the Facebook page where the post is published, we would have two impressions and only 1 person reached.
In the words of Facebook itself, the number of impressions of a post is ” The number of times a publication of its page appeared on the screen of a person . Publications include states, photos, links, videos and more. “
This image of our friends dalealaweb helps us to clearly understand the difference:
It is to emphasize that when we speak of scope and organic impressions differences in amounts of each are usually not significant. This is not the same in the case of reach and impressions pay because Facebook can display several times the same ad to a user and there metrics impressions money but not pay rise range.
Algorithm changes in Facebook during 2017 and 2018
As we said in the beginning, changes in the algorithm Facebook are almost constant and not always reported. In this section we will make a chronological mention of the most significant changes in 2017 and 2018.
- January 2017 : Facebook Launches Stories Facebook in the first countries. This change allows usersshare photos and videos that disappear after 24 hours of being published.
In addition,Facebook continuesprioritize the importance of the videosin the news users, reporting that the videos having higher completion percentage, ie those videos that people see to the end, will get greater range than the videos that people do not end to see.
- February 2017 : The algorithmFacebook continues to emphasize the videos of Facebook , adding the option of automatic playback sound and the possibility that the videos continue playing miniature while the user continues touring the news.
- March 2017 : Facebook starts talking aboutgenerating quality interactions. Indicate that the person loves something, what angers, saddens or gives laughter, is more valued than just like.
In addition, Facebook stories begin to visualize from the mobile app.
- May 2017 : a new Announcedchange in the algorithm Facebook, which will be implemented gradually andhidden links both publications as ads for lowquality sites. The way of defining quality content, appearsbe similar to the following Google in its search results ie Facebook seen as low quality sites that have malicious content, too many ads, fraudulent sites or content misleading.
In addition, Facebook starts to allow the selection of favorite topics to display more content related to them in the news feed of each user
- June 2017 : Thenew algorithm Facebookseekseliminate spammers, reducing (almost eliminating) drastically organic visibility of publications from pages that publish excessive amount of posts per day, as well as those pages that share sensationalist content or generating misinformation to user.
- August 2017 : Thealgorithm Facebookcontinues getting closercloser toGoogle algorithm. This month, Facebook announced that itwill prioritize the usernews feed to sites that have fast loading speed, suggesting that the loading time of landing page is less than 3 seconds.
- October 2017 : Facebook allows thecreation and publication of 3D objectsas a new type of content for users and interacting with them by the other users.
- December 2017 : Thealgorithm Facebook still chasing spammers. Now, it will focus onout of the feed users those posts using tactics “engagement bait”, ie reactions ask users if they agree with one orother, or share, etc. Thisnot affect the organic range of authentic posts that are shared by choice of the users or generate genuine reactions.
- January 2018 : The founder of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, through its official account announced a series of changes throughout the month, following the line of changes in 2017.established thatthe new algorithm Facebookwill focus oncontent relevant and generate significant social interactions. Thus those publications that do not generate page interactions may diminish their scope, but publications that generate interaction, feedback, share, etc. they will be more viralizadas because Facebook understands that if a person sharesis because it’s interesting for your friends.
It also continues paying special attention to thequality of the target sitesof the links and thereliabilityof news sources, impacting positively on sites that generate quality news and negatively on those who do not.
Onother hand, the new algorithmprioritize local news, shared by family and friends.
How does the change in the algorithm Facebook to Organic Scope of Posts
To answer this question we have made a study of the variation in the amount of organic impressions of the posts that were shared on some pages of Facebook since January 2017.
We focused the analysis on pages whose publication strategy in Facebook content marketing , ie using their Facebook page to distribute and publicize the content they post on their blogs.
All pages our analysis was:
- They have more than 100,000 followers.
- mainly share links, and fewer images, videos and text posts.
- the content they share on their Facebook pages is on a particular topic: medicine, cooking, marketing, etc.
- Posts are not primarily aimed at generating engagement but distribute valuable content for the audience, ie no incentive to like or share themselves but concerned seeking a genuine user behavior.
- Publication frequency ranges from 1 to 6 posts per day.
The contents of the landing pages of links that share follow these criteria:
- It is only original content posted on the site owner’s Facebook page.
- Blogs are specific to certain subjects: medicine, cooking, marketing, etc.
- Items have a minimum length of 700 words.
The period of analysis was from January 2017 to January 2018 inclusive , and the results were:
- The prioritization by Facebook of the videos , in the first part of 2017 negatively impacted the organic range of pages for which the main link and shared content was positively native shared those videos.
- The importance of Facebook says it has begun to give the reactions from March did not generate changes significant in the pages analyzed.
- Improvements in the amount of organic impressions continue with a positive trend overall for 2018 so far.
How many posts per day should be published on Facebook?
- If we analyze the relationship between the number of posts published and the amount of organic impressions , we can see that until September 2017, the number of posts did not seem to significantly influence the number of impressions, however, from September 2017 , when begin to see the most significant improvements in the number of impressions, begins to show some parallels in the behavior of the curves, ie more posts published most impressions. It is recalled that the pages under analysis published in any case no more than 5 posts per day on their Facebook page.
- If we analyze the number of posts published per day, we see that 3 or 4 posts per day the best numbers organic range are obtained . During the month of February 2018 we have tried increasing the number of publications to 6 per day, and the results were a decrease of reach average per post almost half, so that the result of the equation effort-benefit was not positive because that greater effort is required to publish more content without having a higher total organic range.
What day is better post on Facebook?
- Analyzing the days with most impressions, is a highly variable behavior in the pages analyzed, however, we can identify that the contents published on Saturday get a good organic range .
Based on the above, we can conclude that changes in the algorithm Facebook follow the line of the algorithm Google for search results.
Increasingly, the algorithm Facebook is prioritizing quality content that will generate genuine interactions users, and it is very important to find the balance between quality and quantity shared content. As we have seen, the publication of about 3 posts per day is what these pages has generated better results
And your pages, how they have been affected by changes in the algorithm Facebook? What kind of content you publish them? We hope your comment to help each other to discover the secrets that Facebook is behind the screen.
If you have proved useful information, do not forget to share it with the rest of your team and your colleagues.
We read in the comments and you next article!